DALLAS (FWAA) - Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson (Waco, Texas) is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Longhorns' 31-7 victory over Nebraska this past Saturday.
Johnson, a 6-4, 230-pound junior, posted 11 tackles, caused a fumble, intercepted a pass, registered four pressures and tallied four tackles for loss against the Huskers. The Longhorns held a Nebraska offense that was rushing for 259.1 yards per game to just 53 yards on 40 attempts.
For the third straight season, a panel from the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) selects the winner of the weekly award on behalf of the Charlotte Touchdown Club. The winner is announced each Tuesday during the season. Johnson already is on the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which will be presented on Dec. 8 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2003 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
* Sept. 9: Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech
* Sept. 16: Jamaal Brimmer, UNLV
* Sept. 23: Corey Webster, LSU
* Sept. 30: Usama Young, Kent State
* Oct. 7: Dave Ball, UCLA
* Oct. 14: Jorge Cordova, Nevada
* Oct. 21: Keiwan Ratliff, Florida
* Oct. 28: Janssen Patton, Bowling Green
* Nov. 4: Derrick Johnson, Texas